12 Fun and Interesting Facts about Lake of the Ozarks
Lake of the Ozarks, a man-made haven, is a popular destination for vacationers, campers, and outdoor enthusiasts. Whether you want to explore the lake by water with a boat, or get out on land and go spelunking, the lake, located in Central Missouri, is sure to provide days of fun. Spend some time in the area and enjoy all it has to offer! Here are 12 Lake of the Ozarks fun facts worth knowing! PLUS Some fun answers to popular questions you may not know.
1. The Lake of the Ozarks is also known as “The Magic Dragon” because its shape makes it look like a slithering serpent.
2. The lake covers a surface area of 54,000 acres.
3. The Lake of the Ozarks is created by the impoundment of the Osage River.
4. Approximately 40% of people who own two houses in the American Midwest own at least one at the Lake of the Ozarks.
5. The lake has many species of fish including white bass, blue catfish, walleye, and channel catfish.
6. It is estimated to hold 617 billion gallons of water when full!
7. Before it came to fruition, more than twenty settlements were flooded.
8. Every year at the end of summer, the Lake of the Ozarks holds a big powerboat racing event known as "The Shootout." This is a HUGE event for the lake residents and visitors from around the country to attend.
9. It is estimated that more than 5 million people visit annually. That's a lot of people who get away from their daily lives for a few days to this beautiful spot in Missouri. Who else loves LOTO? We do!
10. The Lake of the Ozarks is second only to the Truman Reservoir in Missouri, which is the largest manmade lake in the state.
11. The Lake of the Ozarks has about 166 campgrounds to choose from.
12. The lake was constructed during the Great Depression, providing thousands of jobs and a sense of hope in times of hardship.
Frequently Asked Questions
How large is Lake of the Ozarks?
The Lake of Ozarks stretches an area of around 93 square miles (241 km). It is about 145 km (90 miles) long with its coastline approximately 1,770 km (1,100 miles).
How many people live at the Lake of the Ozarks?
The population has grown to more than 92,551 and the number of tourists visiting the Lake of the Ozarks has soared in recent years.
How many boats are on Lake of the Ozarks
There are about 30,000 registered docks. Each one can accommodate multiple boats simultaneously.
When was the Lake of the Ozarks built?
The Lake of the Ozarks was completed in 1931.
Lake of the Ozarks’ depth
It has a maximum depth of 130 feet... WOW!
When was the Bagnell Dam built?
The Lake of the Ozarks’ Bagnell Dam’s construction began in 1929 and was completed in 1931. The initial purpose of the dam was to supply St. Louis with electricity.