Is your deck as slippery as a banana peel? We feel you.
Welcome aboard The SeaDek Installation Handbook—your DIY guide for fixing your watercraft’s slide-and-splash problems.
Prevent embarrassing slip-ups and enhance your boat’s comfort with SeaDek’s top-tier marine flooring solution. It ensures resistance to water absorption, mold, mildew, and even the harshest marine conditions.
In this guide, you’ll learn how to install SeaDek products. We’ll also talk about the benefits of doing so, and the common pitfalls to avoid before installing one.
What is SeaDek, and What are its Benefits?
SeaDek is a closed-cell, high-performance marine foam widely used in the marine industry. It’s made from closed-cell PE/EVA foam. Therefore, it has better shock absorption and protection against scratches than conventional marine traction products. It also features a range of textures, thicknesses, and colors for endless customization.
Now, let’s talk perks. SeaDek's high-performance material is popular among boat owners. All thanks to its closed-cell structure that provides slip- and skid-resistant decking. These guarantee steady footing in various maritime conditions.
The durable PE/EVA foam ensures a longer-lasting marine flooring solution. It’s resistant to saltwater, UV radiation, harsh weather, and fishing gear and water toy impacts.
SeaDek's cushioning and shock-absorbing properties can also make activities more enjoyable for everyone on board. For instance, anglers have a more comfortable standing area, minimizing leg and joint strain. Families with children, meanwhile, can enjoy a more secure, fun-filled play space.
The cost of SeaDek installed varies based on factors such as boat size, customization options, and installation complexity. For specific estimates based on your requirements, it’s best to contact authorized SeaDek installers like Decked Out Factory.
How to Install SeaDek Decking Material
SeaDek’s skid-resistant decking material allows peel-and-stick application, eliminating the need for molded-in solutions. It’s easy to install. However, you’ll need the right tools and materials: a sharp razor knife, a clean, dry cloth, and your SeaDek products.
This DIY project only takes a few hours. Follow this guide for a seamless start-to-finish process.
- Prepare the surface. Check that your boat surface is clean, dry, and has no contaminants. Proper preparation is crucial for a hassle-free installation.
- Measure and cut. Allow for a slight overhang when measuring the SeaDek material. For a perfect fit, use the knife to achieve precise cuts.
- Peel and stick. Remove the backing and gently apply it to the prepared surface. The peel-and-stick design simplifies the installation process.
- Secure application. Once applied, use the dry cloth to smooth out any air bubbles or wrinkles. Make sure it sticks well—press the SeaDek firmly onto the surface.
- Trim excess material. Trim any surplus material to maintain precision around edges and corners. This step is the key to obtaining that sleek, professional finish.
- Allow cure time. Let the decking material cure properly. Avoid putting stress on the installation for the recommended time to ensure a durable, long-lasting bond.
That’s it—you’re now ready to make boat deck skid-resistant! Before doing so, check out the common mistakes that could otherwise trip up the entire process.
Common SeaDek Installation Mistakes To Avoid
So how to install SeaDek flooring? Installing SeaDek marine products incorrectly can lead to poor adhesion, uneven surfaces, or even boat damage. It poses a risk of accidents, especially in high-traffic areas. To get a successful result, DON’T:
- Force material into place. Excessive force during installation risks damaging the decking material and the boat itself. This can result in scratches, dents, or structural harm. Handle materials with care and let them naturally conform to the boat's contours.
- Skip compatibility checks. Check manufacturer recommendations for compatibility with your boat’s surface (e.g., fiberglass, metal) before installation. It ensures a smooth integration without compromising performance.
- Ignore manufacturer guidelines. Adhere strictly to the manufacturer's provided guidelines. This includes recommended adhesives, application methods, and specific instructions for your decking material.
These considerations add to the peace of mind that comes with SeaDek. With a carefully planned and executed installation, you can navigate the waters with confidence. For firsthand practical advice, consult with our experienced installers at Decked Out Factory.
Shop Decked Out Boat Decking Mats
SeaDek’s high-quality marine foam improves marine lifestyle and completely transforms watercraft aesthetics. Whether you prefer local installations or a DIY approach, you can see the difference for yourself.
Ready to deck it out? Let our team of highly trained professionals do the installation, or customize your SeaDek kit for your DIY project.
Choose from color, thickness, and routing patterns. We’ll cut everything in-house and deliver it to you hassle-free. Request a quote here.